Last Updated: April 2022
Information Provided Voluntarily
- Contact Information: We will collect personal information that you provide to us, including, but not limited to, your name, employer’s name, job title, mailing or billing address(es), e-mail address(es), telephone number(s), fax number, and photograph(s) that you voluntarily give to us. Such information is necessary to facilitate your access to, use of, sponsorship of, application to, or participation in our activities and programming. You are under no obligation to provide us with personal information of any kind, however, your refusal to do so may prevent you from using certain features of the Website or fully participating in certain other DF activities or programs.
Information Collected Automatically
- Automated Information: Your web browser or mobile device automatically provides information when you visit the Site, including, but not limited to, your Internet Protocol (IP) address or unique device identifier.
- Log Files: Log files store information such as a user’s IP address, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. Like most websites, DF Website uses log files to analyze trends, administer the Website, and track users’ movement on the Website.
- Data From Social Networks: User information from social networking sites, such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Twitter, including your name, your social network username, location, gender, birth date, email address, profile picture, and public data for contacts, if you connect your account to such social networks.
- Third-Party Data: Information from third parties, such as personal information or network friends, if you connect your account to the third party and grant the Website permission to access this information.
- Surveys: Personal and other information you may provide when responding to surveys.
DF uses the information that it collects to carry out its mission and activities. We may use and store such information for legitimate and lawful business purposes, for example, in order to:
- provide a service or product you requested;
- create and manage your Website account;
- provide educational or informational content;
- complete and manage DF programs and activities;
- process donations and payments to DF;
- prepare donor gift tax acknowledgment letters;
- analyze, evaluate, and improve visitors (including donors, volunteers, award recipients) needs, interests and trends, and to improve the user experience;
- evaluate research award applications;
- requests to volunteer;
- solicit feedback;
- personalize communications that we believe will be of interest to you;
- notify you (via email, telephone, mail, and other means) of official DF news, activities, programs, symposia, events, meetings, conferences, volunteer, and award opportunities;
- contact you (via email, telephone, mail, and other means) regarding your donation, Website account, registrations, or applications;
- increase the efficiency and operation of the Website;
- track event, meeting, and conference attendance;
- track continuing medical education (CME) credits earned;
- compile anonymous statistical data and analysis for use internally or with third parties;
- respond to communications and inquiries that you send to us;
- respond to a notice of alleged copyright infringement;
- promote the function, safety, and security of our programs;
- perform other DF activities as needed;
- assist law enforcement and respond to subpoena; and
- for other legitimate and lawful business purposes.
For individuals located in the European Economic Area, we rely on multiple legal bases to collect, use, share, or otherwise process your personal data, including that:
- you have given consent, which you may withdraw at any time;
- it is necessary for us to perform a contract with you;
- it is necessary for us to comply with legal obligations;
- it is necessary for our or a third party’s legitimate interest;
- it is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions; and/or
- it is necessary to protect someone’s life.
To the extent we rely on our legitimate interests as a legal basis to collect, use, share, or otherwise process your personal information and data, those interests include: performing an activity you requested; providing educational information; securing and processing donations and other payments; preparing donor gift acknowledgment letters; analyzing, evaluating, and improving user needs and interests; evaluating research award applications and requests to volunteer; notifying you of DF official news, activities, programs, events, meetings, conferences, volunteer, and award opportunities; tracking event, meeting, and conference attendance; responding to communications and inquiries that you send to us; responding to a notice of alleged copyright infringement; and promoting the function, safety, and security of our programs.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
We may share personal information we have collected about you in certain situations with a third party in order to complete a specific transaction on behalf of DF or for other legitimate purposes as DF deems to be in the best interests of DF or the specialty. Such transactions and purposes include the following:
- Your contact information, as provided to DF, may be shared with other DF meeting attendees or volunteers to facilitate communication and programming.
- Your name, as provided to DF, may appear on materials distributed at DF symposia, programs, events, meetings, and conferences, including to third parties.
- Your name and contact information, as provided to DF, may appear on registration or attendee lists distributed at DF programs, events, meetings, webinars, and conferences to other attendees and third parties including, but not limited to, exhibitors or sponsors. We are not responsible for use or misuse of your personal information by exhibitors, sponsors, or the like.
- In an ongoing effort to better understand visitors to our site and programs, we may analyze non-personal information in aggregate form in order to operate, maintain, manage, and improve our programs. This aggregate information does not identify individuals personally. We may share this aggregate data with our affiliates, agents, and business partners. We may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe our programs to current and prospective partners and to other third parties for other lawful purposes.
- We may share your personal information with third parties and individuals that provide services to DF (collectively, “Service Providers”) including, but not limited to, administration/operation support; marketing, promotions, and communications; program, event, meeting, volunteer, research award, member, or conference enrollment, registration, application, planning, hosting, or management; website hosting; database management; data analysis; hosting service; payment processing; or other data processing. DF takes reasonable steps to ensure that our Service Providers are obligated to reasonably protect your information on DF’s behalf. If DF becomes aware that a Service Provider is using or disclosing information improperly, we will take commercially reasonable steps to end or correct such improper use or disclosure.
- We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit the Website. These companies may use information about your visits to the Website and other websites that are contained in web cookies in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
- Donations made to DF through other organizations (such as GiveLively, Wufoo/Survey Monkey, Global Giving, and Amazon Smile) from which we collect personal information such as your name, billing address, email address (if you have not already provided these details). We collect information about your donation, including the amount of your donations. These organizations’ privacy policies can be found on their respective websites.
We are not responsible for the actions of third parties with whom you share personal or sensitive data, and we have no authority to manage or control third-party solicitations. If you no longer wish to receive correspondence, emails, or other communications from third parties, you are responsible for contacting the third party directly.
Cookies and Web Beacons
You should be aware that getting a new computer, installing a new browser, upgrading an existing browser, or erasing or otherwise altering your browser’s cookie files may also clear certain opt-out cookies, plug-ins, or settings.
Access to and Control of Information
DF takes your privacy and the protection of your personal information seriously, and we will provide you with reasonable access to and control of the personal information that you have provided to us. You may request to update your personal information or to opt in to or opt out of any programming at any time.
Website Account Information
You may at any time review or change the information in your Website account by:
- Logging into your account settings and updating your account
- Contacting us using the contact information set forth below in the “Contact Information” section
Emails and Communications: If you no longer wish to receive correspondence, emails, or other communications from us (such as advertisements, promotions, solicitation, etc.), you may opt-out by contacting us using the contact information set forth below in the “Contact Information” section.
If you no longer wish to receive correspondence, emails, or other communications from third parties, you are responsible for contacting the third party directly.
For individuals located in the European Economic Area, you may have additional rights concerning your personal data, such as to access, obtain a copy of, correct, or delete that information or to withdraw your consent or object to the collection, use, sharing, or other processing of that information. To make any request with respect to your personal information, please contact DF as set forth below in the “Contact Information” section.
We employ reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural security measures to safeguard your personal information and to help protect against unauthorized access and disclosure. Online registration and information, such as payment card information, will be secured using a commercially accepted method of encryption. However, please be aware that no method of electronic transmission is completely infallible, and any information disclosed online is vulnerable to interception and misuse by unauthorized parties. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee its absolute safety. We encourage you to use reasonable care in how you handle and disclose your personal information, user name(s), and password(s). If you become aware of any breach of Website security, please contact us immediately as set forth below in the “Contact Information” section.
If you are visiting the Website from outside the United States, please be aware that you are sending information, including personal data, to the United States where our servers are located. That information may then be transferred within the United States or to other countries outside the United States other than your country of residence. Countries other than your country of residence, including the United States, may have data privacy and protection laws that differ from, and potentially provide less protection than, the applicable laws in your country of residence.
Neither the Website nor DF’s activities are directed toward children under the age of sixteen (16). We do not knowingly collect information from or market to children. If we become aware that a child has provided us with information without parental consent, please contact us as set forth below in the “Contact Information” section and such information will be deleted from our records.
If you are under 18 years of age, reside in California, and have a registered account with the Website, you have the right to request removal of unwanted data that you publicly post on the Website. To request removal of such data, please contact us using the contact information set forth below in the “Contact Information” section, and include the email address associated with your account and a statement that you reside in California. We will make sure the data is not publicly displayed on the Website, but please be aware that the data may not be completely or comprehensively removed from our systems.
DF Contact Information
1560 Sherman Avenue
Evanston, IL 60201-4808
Phone: (847) 328-2256
Fax: (847) 328-0509